Sunday, March 11, 2012

Thy Will Be Done

When making these images, I try to reduce myself from the equation. The only thing I bring into them willingly is the "from the center and out" composition. Apart from that I ignore what's happening in the process of painting. This is not to say that I don't care, but I accept any color and form that shows up, and I try to avoid judging them. By letting go of my own preferences and ideas of what painting, balance and good art is, the canvas becomes a field of practise. I learn letting go. I learn being present, and I learn acceptance, which is almost the same thing. You can't have one without the other.

This is a meditative approach which I (when I remember to) use as often as I can, in every field of life where it is possible. Painting is a good place to practise, because nothing important can go wrong, and it is really challenging for an artist to stay detached from the art.


No comments:

Post a Comment